Sunday, October 06, 2013

Ten Years In Ten Days: The Career Evolves

Our story continues into our fifth year of marriage (2007-2008), which started with a bit of a curve ball.  When we drove down to San Antonio about six weeks before our anniversary, Jenn's back problems came to a head and finally went over the edge as a disc in her back fragmented, and the fragments choked out a nerve in her leg, causing her immense pain.  We took her to the emergency room to get her treated in enough time to get back home to Dallas, and later that week, she had to have surgery to remove the fragments and stabilize her back.  Her recovery time was seven weeks, and thankfully, she had Short Term Disability at her job that helped with the bills.  (If it is part of your benefits packaage at your job, enroll.  If it isn't, get your employer to do it.  Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.)  Jenn's parents were also a huge help with assisting me in keeping up with the day to day stuff that usually takes both of us to do.

I would also take my first road trip to Vegas at the end of Jenn's rehabilitation period.  Due to the fact that I drove it by myself made the trip even better because I got to have some "Rob time" and I got to drive on my own schedule.  That was also the last trip to Vegas that I have had.  Looking forward to another soon, for sure!

In March of 2008, I took a large leap of faith and left Southwest General Services to try to expand my career into what I was pretty much born to do: corporate training.  I would start with a company called HCFS, where I would become a bit of a "road warrior," traveling all over the country training their new hires in the environments they were hired to work in.  I learned a bit about myself in that time; mainly, I can handle a travel schedule, but it's a bit more complicated when you have another person that is your partner in life.  Again, my wife being the amazingly understanding person that she is, she handled it with grace and strength.  As our fifth year of marriage wrapped up, we were halfway to ten, and more was to come.

BB

No comments: