Monday, January 21, 2013

This Is A Life? Chpater 5: May 25th, 1977

If you want to truly pick the first day that shaped who I would be to this day, this would be it.  For the uninitiated, this was the day that "Star Wars" was released.  (For those of you too young, this is the original, even though it is listed as "Episode IV: A New Hope"... don't try to figure it out; your brain will explode.)  I remember the theater my mom took me to in Iowa to see it.

You see, there was a time when theaters only showed one movie because there was only one auditorium in the building.  There was only one concession stand, which was located in the lobby.  The auditorium itself was very plush and even had a balcony.  I remember the lobby of the theater being adorned with what are known as "lobby cards," which were letter-sized pieces of card stock which featured stills from the film that was being featured on that particular day.



The time that followed when the lights went down would activate and never let go an overactive imagination that carries me to this day.  If you know ANYTHING about me, you know how much of a "Star Wars" fan that I am.  I have them on just about every format (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray).  Goodness, I even have the LaserDisc trilogy THX copies, which is the ONLY way you can get the original versions of the films digitally.  Yeah, I'm that geeky.  Not scared of it.

I have probably seen the films over fifty times each.  (The prequel trilogy is different; probably ten times a piece there.  Less time to do it.

More coming Friday!

Rob

No comments: