Monday, February 14, 2005

Lost In Translation?

I know this is sooner than most of my entries have been, but I saw something the other day that I HAD to rant about.

In a couple of weeks, ESPN will be rolling out their third and latest version of it's reality show, "Dream Job". The concept is that any normal person can have the chance of a lifetime (or dream job, if you will) to become an ESPN anchor for a year. You are put through a grueling process on live television in front of the world, and then you are scrutenized by the panel of celebrity judges to eventually be the chosen one. Personally, I love this concept. I actually wanted to audition for the second season, but found out the day AFTER the auditions happened. Story of my life.

So, I kept my ear to the ground for what surely would be the opportunity to audition for what could be the blockbuster third season of a show that gets bumped to the midnight eastern shift during the baseball playoffs, but it's cool. Then I find out...

... this season, "Dream Job" will only be five contestants, and they are all former NBA players getting the shot of NBA analyst for ESPN.


WHAT??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

These guys have AGENTS, and could get an audition over lunch. So now, instead of trying to get the rags-to-riches deal, we get "dudes that haven't had steady work in a LONG time" working.

You wanna do this right? Move them over to CBS, and make THAT the new "Survivor". Get off the island, get a check, and then you STILL don't have to work. BOO-YAA!

You KNOW Tom Tolbert's somewhere going, "WTF, man? I had to go through auditions and TWO freakin' networks!"

Oh yeah, and happy Valentine's Day kids. Protect yourselves.

No comments: