Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Secret Origins, Part 4: The Second Defining Moment (On Multiple Levels)

OK, so here we go again...

Fast forward to the summer of 1994.  The sweetest mullet in HISTORY is in full swing, and I have just been laid off from my job at a local movie theater.  I was also working a job as the Summer Youth Worker for a (sorta) local church, and this was the silver lining for me.  Great group of young people (after spending a couple of years working with the youth of the church I grew up in, and also a great group of young people).  Losing my job the day after I returned from church camp with some of the younger youth was a rough deal, but those young'uns made it a lot less rough on me.

One day, I came across an ad in the want ads of the local paper for a place called "Incredible Universe."  I was very intrigued by the position of DJ/Karaoke.  At this point in my life, I had spent stints here and there doing DJ work for parties, mix tapes, and some such.  But, here was an opportunity to work with music EVERY DAY.  So, I went to an abandoned Publix (the building wasn't even constructed yet) and applied.  After about three different interviews and a personality test, I was offered the job as a temp in the DJ/Karaoke "scene" (it would become permanent pretty quickly).

During my week-long orientation class, there was a time when volunteers were needed for a skit on selling.  Naturally, given my department, I was volunteered.  Unfortunately, there was one more guy than there were guy parts, and I drew the short end of the stick, so I had to be an elderly woman.  A one-piece dress and three balloons later, and there we were.  Now, I was wearing one of my Bamm-Bamm shirts, so naturally, a guy had to yell, "BAM! BAM!" when referring to the location of the balloons.  This is also where I began what has become a 16 year karaoke career as well.

Thus, my "hero name" at Incredible Universe was born.

Is this where our story ends?  Nope.  There is one more chapter and another time zone to go, my friends, so until we conclude with Chapter 5, "The Modern Era..."

No comments: