Friday, September 24, 2010

Secret Origins, Chapter 3: The First Defining Moment

Whoa, two chapters in one week, much less one month.  Yeah, I know.

We now fast forward another year.  I have completed my first and only year at the University Of South Florida (the summer camp relationship ended about six weeks after my time in Leesburg ended, and I met a young lady whom would take me through the rest of that first year of college), and was living in an apartment with two friends of mine off campus.  I was also working as a busboy and dishwasher at the Chili's right by the University (in retrospect, I shouldn't have let them pick the job I would have when asked "what position do you want?").  As that year (from the fall of 1991 to the spring of 1992), I had realized that my time at the South Florida camp had really a huge impact on me, and I wanted to be a part of it again.  I had not applied to be a member of the staff, so I could not be paid at that point.  So, in order for an "everybody wins" situation, I would drive down there on my days off, spend a couple of days, and then drive back on days I had to work.  Considering it was 3 hours each way, I am amazed that I did this that often to this day.  For the most part, the staff was the same great group of people that were there the summer before, with a couple of people that I knew from Leesburg that wound up down there as well.

That summer, the before mentioned Casey & Kellee developed a fondness for a song by Young & Restless called "B Girls".


Look at me, getting all high tech on you and stuff.  THAT, my friends, is the first time I ever embedded a video.

Anyway, they formed such an affinity for said song that they decided to give everyone on the staff nicknames that started with the letter "B".  Now, I am willing to admit that "Bamm-Bamm" came to me as a hand-me-down, as my good friend and fellow Facebook-er Larry Gray decided he liked "Bubba" instead.  (And for that, sir, I will be forever grateful.)  So, "Bamm-Bamm" fell to me, and it stuck.  From that point forward, I would start to collect anything I could find with the Flintstones character represented on it.

One would think that this is where the story ends, no?  If you think that my friend, then you are sadly mistaken.  Check back next time for "Chapter 4: The Second Defining Moment (On Multiple Levels)."

Oh yeah, and there were a couple of "summer girls" there too.  Oh hell, why not, since I am now an embedding fool...


Until then...

BB

No comments: