Friday, August 23, 2013

In Defense Of Tim Tebow

So, I read an article on Yahoo! Sports today about Tim Tebow's days possibly being numbered with the New England Patriots, and if they got rid of him, he may not get picked up by another team.  This annoys me greatly.

Now, before we go any further, I would like to put this right out there on Front Street: I am unapologetically a fan of the Florida Gators, and have been since I was 11 years old.  I wanted to go there desperately, but when I didn't get in, it did not waive my fandom.  So I didn't have the grades; I'm not going to hate on them because I am not as smart as I should be.  (This is no knock on the University of South Florida, where I would end up for my freshman year.  They are an amazing institution that gave me a chance, and I am forever grateful to them.)  But this is SO much more than just being a fan of a Gator alumnus.  Understand that this entry is not titled "IN Defense of Aaron Hernandez".  We will deal with that briefly in a moment.

Now that we have established THAT: I do not understand the lack of perceived logic in NFL franchises.  I will be the first to admit that when Denver drafted the two time National Champion and Heisman Trophy winner in the first round, I was a bit shocked.  I was one of those that wondered if his style of play would translate to the NFL (Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez, Gino Toretta).  I admired the moxy and faith in the Mile High City's choice, and I looked forward to seeing him play.

We live in a time where we clamor for "quality guys" to be role models for our children (sorry, Mr. Barkley... your commercial in the '90s about "I am not a role model" didn't hold water then, and it still holds no water... if you are in the spotlight, it comes with the territory and you have no choice), and then here comes a guy who is not only a quality kid (he spent his final year in college's Spring Break with his missionary parents in a third world country helping out), but he understands the spotlight and takes time with every charity that he can.

He helped get the Broncos to the playoffs, and even won a playoff game.  And then, the downward spiral hit Mach Speed.

He would get traded to the New York Jets, where he got LIMITED playing time behind Mark "Mr. Butt Fumble" Sanchez (look it up, people).  They cut him loose after last season, when he would be picked up six weeks later by the Patriots.  In the third Pre-Season Game, where they got WAXED by Detroit 40-9, Tebow didn't see a down.  I am not saying that he should play more than backup Ryan Mallett, but I am asking to give him a shot.

The argument has also been put forth about him being put out at fullback or tight end, but I ask the question: Has anybody approached this with HIM that is not in the press?  I think betting against him being open to it would be losing money, although I am also sure that if he had his preference, he would rather be throwing the ball.  He just seems like the type of kid, as he put it would "go wherever they tell to".

I also wonder if the Patriots had foresight just a little too late by bringing him in.  My first thought when it was announced that he was now reunited with one of his favorite teammates from his days at the University of Florida, Aaron Hernandez.  With Hernandez's behavior starting to teeter on unstable, my thought was that they brought Tebow in to play babysitter.  Maybe had they been on the closer side of that six weeks, Tim could have spent some more time with Aaron.  (By the same token... Tebow's college roommate?  Riley Cooper.)

My hope is that someone (even if it is ESPN's College Gameday) will get a hold of him and keep him on our televisions for years to come in some capacity.  We NEED quality kids like him for our children to look up to.  Whether you agree with his convictions of faith or not, THIS is what professionalism is.  So stop tearing him down.

Rob

No comments: