Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My Next Thirty Years

I heard this song this morning while sitting at my desk, and it made me think about how fast the first 32 have really gone.

I'm not going to go on a tangent about how it goes slow when you're a kid and faster when you grow up, but I have figured out why:

When you're a kid, a day is just a day. You get up, eat breakfast, meet your friends at school, come home, do your homework, eat dinner, talk to your friends for a while, and go to bed. As an adult, if it isn't Saturday or Sunday, it's a day closer to the next ones. So we end up spending our weeks looking forward to the next weekend instead of focusing on the day at hand. Sure, work tends to be different than school, but hey, no making your parents sign stuff.

It also made me realize that my 15-year high school reunion is next year. Next year is also going to be a reunion of all of the people that were involved in my high school band from 1990 through 1999. I guess you don't realize how much things change as time goes by. To me, I am the same guy that I was back then (a bit heavier, and less hair... but the same guy). To everyone that was at my 10-year that I hadn't seen, it was a different story.

Now, when I was in high school, I wasn't the most popular guy, but I had a lot of friends. As my sister Julie puts it, "You were universal". I had friends in just about every group (I never thought we really had cliques in my class... we were all pretty tight), so I knew people. Still, though, a lot (and I mean A LOT) of people were actually walking up to my wife instead of me. It got to a point where she had to say, "Unless you went to high school in HOUSTON, TEXAS, you want to talk to him." It was actually a bit embarrassing, to be perfectly honest.

Part of me is a bit sad that I lost touch with so many people over the years, but it's cool. A lot of our class is scattered about the country, but the 10-year was great to reconnect. We had a good chunk of our class there. This band thing is also really neat, because we have a message board to keep everyone in the loop, and I am seeing names and events that I haven't thought about in ages.

I guess it's true: the older I get, the better I was.

Until next time...

BB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.